The library contains numerous VHS tapes, DVD’s and CD’s of digitized manuals available for loan from the Idaho Technology Transfer (T2) Center, located within the Local Highway Technical Assistance Council (LHTAC). The Center is sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration as part of the Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP) and by the Idaho Transportation Department (ITD).
The library is a valuable source of information. To simplify, the library offerings may be referred to as videos, however if you need a DVD, please choose items with a “D” at the front of the item number. The videos may be used for on-site training, as presentation aids, and as informational resources on specific topics. Some of the videos were produced by other states and have been included because of the general process, procedures or information that they provide. The specific details, policies or references illustrated may not be available or may not conform to state or local policy.
The library contains listings for over 1000 videos and DVD’s available for loan to local, state and federal agencies.
Fourteen major categories have been established for organizational purposes, as listed:
- Surface Treatments
- Winter Maintenance
All videotapes are available for loan on ½ inch VHS format and operate on a standard VHS videocassette recorder (VCR). Many videos are also available on DVD.
Some of the items in our library are copyrighted and may NOT be duplicated without written permission from the source. These tapes are clearly identified at the beginning of the video.
Videos are loaned to local agencies for a period of four weeks at no charge. A limit of five (5) titles total may be borrowed per request.
How to Request Videos
Requests may be made on-line via the T2 website. Your request will be sent out that day or the next. If you choose to request your media by regular mail, fax, phone or e-mail please use both the number and title. If you are unable to find a particular title/subject, please e-mail your request to email@example.com and we’ll see if we can add the title to our library.
Please rewind tapes to the beginning before returning them. All videos will be shipped by regular mail and should be returned the same way. For your convenience, a return mailing label will be included with your request so you may return the videos by mail. Postage is your only cost – please be certain you have enough postage afixed to the return package! You may use the original mailing box by simply placing the new mailing label over the old one, add your address as the return address, and seal the box. Please complete the evaluation information on the letter that comes with the materials. This helps us to evaluate the collection.
The catalog will be updated as needed and distributed statewide to agencies, as requested. Supplemental updates will be published annually. New titles will be announced in our quarterly newsletter and on our web site.
The following list shows publications available to you without cost (except for those few with a small fee for printing and publishing costs). Please send an e-mail to dshields@LHTAC.org for any items you want for your agency.
- A Pocket Guide to Asphalt Pavement Preservation (pamphlet)
- A Snowplow Operator’s Guide (DVD)
- At The Crossroads (book)
- Distress Identification Guide from the Long-Term Pavement Performance Program (pocket size book)
- Distress Identification Guide from the Long-Term Pavement Performance Program (big book)
- FHWA Retroreflective Sheeting Identification Guide - Updated (laminated sheet)
- Field Guide for Accessible Public Rights-of-Way (booklet) COST=$2.50
- Guidelines for Selection of W-Beam Barrier Terminals (CD)
- Highway Safety and Trees: The Delicate Balance (DVD)
- Intersection Safety Strategies
- Implementing the High Risk Rural Roads Program (CD & book)
- Inspector’s Job Guide and Highway Maintenance Tables (booklet) COST=$3.75
- Local Roads Safety Resource (CD)
- Maintenance of Drainage Features for Safety (booklet)
- Maintenance of Signs and Sign Supports (booklet)
- NCHRP Synthesis 321 (National Cooperative Highway Research Program)
- New Sign Retroreflectivity Requirements: Know Your RETRO (pamphlet)
- Objectives and Strategies for Improving Safety at Unsignalized and Signalized Intersections and Instersection Safety Strategies (guidebook)
- Pavement Preservation – flipbooks:
- #1 – Crack Seal Application
- #5 – Microsurface Application
- #6 – Joint Sealing
- #7 – Diamond Grinding
- #8 – Dowel-Bar Retrofit
- #9 – Partial Depth
- #10 – Full Depth
- #11 – Hot-In Place Asphalt Recycling
- #12 – Cold In-Place Asphalt Recycling
- Quality Guideline for Temporary Traffic Control Devices (booklet) COST=$2.95
- Recognize, React, Recover (CD/booklet)
- Roundabouts (brochure)
- RSA Making Your Roads Safer (brochure)
- Rumors, Myths & The Straight Facts (Sign Sheeting Products and Regulations) (brochure)
- Safer Sign Supports (brochure)
- Sign Retroreflectivity Guidebook (book with CD)
- Slips, Trips and Falls (pamphlet)
- The Safety Edge: Pavement Edge Treatment (brochure)
- Vegetation Control for Safety: A Guide for Local Highway and Street Maintenance Personnel (pamphlet)
- W-Beam Guardrail Repair (booklet)
- Winter Roadway Maintenance Computer-Based Training (8 CD program)
- #1 – Anti-Icing/RWIS
- #2 – Selecting Snow & Ice Control Materials to Mitigate Environmental Impacts
- #3 – Equipment Maintenance
- #4 – Proper Plowing Techniques
- #5 – Deicing
- #6 – Blowing Snow
- #7 – Winter Maintenance Management
- #8 – Performance Measures for Snow and Ice Control Operations