The library contains numerous VHS tapes and DVD’s available for loan from the Idaho Technology Transfer (T2) Center, located within the Local Highway Technical Assistance Council (LHTAC). The Center is sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration as part of the Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP) and by the Idaho Transportation Department (ITD).
The library is a valuable source of information. To simplify, the library offerings may be referred to as videos, however if you need a DVD, please choose items with a “D” at the front of the item number. The videos may be used for on-site training, as presentation aids, and as informational resources on specific topics. Some of the videos were produced by other states and have been included because of the general process, procedures or information that they provide. The specific details, policies or references illustrated may not be available or may not conform to state or local policy.
The library contains listings for over 1000 videos and DVD’s available for loan to local, state and federal agencies.
Fourteen major categories have been established for organizational purposes, as listed:
- Surface Treatments
- Winter Maintenance
All videotapes are available for loan on ½ inch VHS format and operate on a standard VHS videocassette recorder (VCR). Many videos are also available on DVD.
Some of the items in our library are copyrighted and may NOT be duplicated without written permission from the source. These tapes are clearly identified at the beginning of the video.
Videos are loaned to local agencies for a period of four weeks at no charge. A limit of five (5) titles total may be borrowed per request.
How to Request Videos
Requests may be made on-line via the T2 website. Your request will be sent out that day or the next. If you choose to request your media by regular mail, fax, phone or e-mail please use both the number and title. If you are unable to find a particular title/subject, please e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll see if we can add the title to our library.
Please rewind tapes to the beginning before returning them. All videos will be shipped by regular mail and should be returned the same way. For your convenience, a return mailing label will be included with your request so you may return the videos by mail. Postage is your only cost – please be certain you have enough postage afixed to the return package! You may use the original mailing box by simply placing the new mailing label over the old one, add your address as the return address, and seal the box. Please complete the evaluation information on the letter that comes with the materials. This helps us to evaluate the collection.
New titles will be announced on our web site as they arrive.
The following list shows publications available to you without cost. Please send an e-mail to dshields@LHTAC.org for any items you want for your agency.
New items are marked with “*”.
- A Pocket Guide to Asphalt Pavement Preservation (pamphlet)
- A Snowplow Operator’s Guide (DVD)
- At The Crossroads (book)
- *ATTSA Work Zone Safety Grant Training Course Guide
- *Considering Work Zone Impacts: Planning for Safety, Mobility, and Constructability
- Distress Identification Guide from the Long-Term Pavement Performance Program (pocket size book)
- Distress Identification Guide from the Long-Term Pavement Performance Program (big book)
- FHWA Retroreflective Sheeting Identification Guide - Updated (laminated sheet)
- Field Guide for Accessible Public Rights-of-Way (booklet)
- *Field Guide for the Use and Placement of Shadow Vehicles in Work Zones
- *Field guide on Installation and Removal of Temporary Traffic Control Devices for Safe maintenance and Work Zone Operaitons
- *Gravel Roads Maintenance & Design (CD and manual0
- Guidelines for Selection of W-Beam Barrier Terminals (CD)
- *Guidelines on the Use of Positive Protection in Temporary Traffic Control Zones
- *Guidance on the Use of Automated Flagger Assistance Devices
- *Guidance Sheet-Temporary Traffic Control Zone Pedestrial Access Considerations
- *High Visibility Apparel in Work Zones
- *Implementing the High Risk Rural Roads Program (CD)
- *Increasing the QZ Workers’ Visibility through High-Visibility Safety Apparel
- Intersection Safety Strategies
- *Intersection Safety: Roadway Departure Safety; Road Safety Information Analysis (CD)
- Inspector’s Job Guide and Highway Maintenance Tables (booklet)
- *Jump a Dead Battery the Right Way
- Local Roads Safety Resource (CD)
- Maintenance of Drainage Features for Safety (booklet)
- Maintenance of Signs and Sign Supports (booklet)
- NCHRP Synthesis 321 (National Cooperative Highway Research Program)
- New Sign Retroreflectivity Requirements: Know Your RETRO (pamphlet)
- *Nighttime Lighting Guidelines for Work Zones
- Objectives and Strategies for Improving Safety at Unsignalized and Signalized Intersections and Instersection Safety Strategies (guidebook)
- Pavement Preservation – flipbooks (limited supply):
- #1 – Crack Seal Application
- #5 – Microsurface Application
- #6 – Joint Sealing
- #7 – Diamond Grinding
- #8 – Dowel-Bar Retrofit
- #9 – Partial Depth
- #10 – Full Depth
- #11 – Hot-In Place Asphalt Recycling
- *Pedestrians Checklist and Considerations for Temporary Traffic Control Zones
- Quality Guideline for Temporary Traffic Control Devices (booklet)
- Recognize, React, Recover (CD/booklet)
- Roundabouts (brochure)
- RSA Making Your Roads Safer (brochure)
- Rumors, Myths & The Straight Facts (Sign Sheeting Products and Regulations) (brochure)
- Safer Sign Supports (brochure)
- Sign Retroreflectivity Guidebook (book with CD)
- The Safety Edge: Pavement Edge Treatment (brochure)
- *Treating Potential Back-of-Queue Safety Hazards
- Vegetation Control for Safety: A Guide for Local Highway and Street Maintenance Personnel (pamphlet)
- W-Beam Guardrail Repair (booklet)
- Winter Roadway Maintenance Computer-Based Training (8 CD program)
- #1 – Anti-Icing/RWIS
- #2 – Selecting Snow & Ice Control Materials to Mitigate Environmental Impacts
- #3 – Equipment Maintenance
- #4 – Proper Plowing Techniques
- #5 – Deicing
- #6 – Blowing Snow
- #7 – Winter Maintenance Management
- #8 – Performance Measures for Snow and Ice Control Operations
- *Work Zone Positive Protection Toolbox
- *Work Zone Safety Data Collection and Analysis Guide
- *Work Zone Safety Guideline Products
- *Work Zone Safety Performance Measures Guidance Booklet
- *Work Zone Safety: Temporary Traffic Control for Maintenance Operations